The intent of our Design Technology curriculum is to
- Give children a wide range of opportunities to develop creative, technical and practical understanding and skills.
- Give children the opportunity to apply their knowledge, skills and understanding through real life experiences that relate to the wider curriculum and their local area.
- Ensure children have opportunities to explore, foster an open mind-set and consider different points of view, needs and tastes.
- Develop children’s understanding of the intent of a design, the quality of the final product and environmental impact.
- Develop children’s understanding of sustainable design.
The intended impact is that children will:
- Develop a set of skills, knowledge and understanding that they will be able to apply to challenges that they meet in real life, now and in the future.
- Understand the term renewable and begin to recognise that negative environmental impact can be alleviated through skilful design and thoughtful choices.
- Learn that design responds to a variety of factors including: need, desire, environment, health.